Robert Heffley Engineering
Authored or coauthored by Robert K. Heffley
Mr. Heffley is the author or coauthor of more than ninety journal articles, papers, and published reports in the fields of flight simulation, aircraft math modeling, airplane and helicopter design, pilot-in-the-loop analysis, aircraft handling qualities, and associated disciplines. The following is a selected list of publications that reflect his experience and areas of expertise.
· Use of a Task-Pilot-Vehicle (TPV) Model as a Tool for Flight Simulator Math Model Development, to be presented at the AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference, 2-5 August, 2010, at Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
· Application of Task-Pilot-Vehicle (TPV) Models in Flight Simulation, Presented at the AHS 66th Annual Forum, May 11-13, 2010, in Phoenix.
· Pilot Behavioral Modeling for Flight Operations Near Ships, RHE-NAV-2007-1 (limited distribution), 1 May 2007. (limited distribution)
· Pilot Behavioral Modeling for Flight Operations Near Ships, RHE-NAV-2004-01, March 2004. (limited distribution)
· Computer Modeling and Simulation for Helicopter Pilotage Task Analysis, U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, USAAMCOM TR 02-D-16, June 2002. (limited distribution)
· Application of Classical-Control Techniques for Computer Modeling and Simulation of Helicopter Pilotage Tasks, presented at AHS 57th Annual Forum and Technology Display, Washington DC, May 9-11, 2001.
· Computer Modeling and Simulation for Helicopter Task Analysis, U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, USAAMCOM TR 99-D-04, October 1999. (limited distribution)
· "Helicopter Pilot Performance for Discrete-Maneuver Flight Tasks," 20th Annual Conference on Manual Control, June 1984.
· Pilot Workload Modeling for Aircraft Flying Qualities Analysis, Naval Air Development Center Report No. NADC-82094-60, May 1984.
· Landing Signal Officer (LSO) Reverse Display Pilot Model, Manudyne Systems Technical Report, May 1984.
· "A Workload-Oriented Model of the Carrier Landing ," Presented at the 19th Annual Conference on Manual Control, 23 to 25 May 1983.
· "Pilot Workload Factors inthe Total Pilot-Vehicle-Task System," Presented at the 27th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors Society, Norfolk, VA, 10-14 October 1983.
· Extended Pilot-Vehicle-Task Models for Navy Missions, AIAA Paper 83-2233-CP, August 1983.
· Analysis of Pilot Control Strategy, NASA CR-170399, April 1983. (3.4 MB)
· Pilot Models for Discrete Maneuvers, AIAA Paper 82-1519CP, August 1982. (700 KB)
· Technical Approaches for Measurement of Human Error, Systems Technology, Inc., TR-1156-2, July 1980.
· "A Model for Manual Decelerating Approaches to Hover," Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual Conference on Manual Control, AFFDL-TR-79-3134, November 1979, pp. 545-554. (.pdf 400 KB)
· Closed Loop Analysis of Manual Flare and Landing, AIAA Paper 74-834, June 1974 (also Journal of Aircraft, February 1976).
· National Advanced Driving Simulator (NADS) Requirements Study, DOT HS 807 825 and 826, September 1992.
· Analysis of Visual System Effectiveness, Aermacchi Technical Report 347-94B-004, October 1987.
· Advanced Rotorcraft Real-Time Simulation (ARRTSIM) Plan, Robert Heffley Engineering TR 87-1, May 1987.
· Functional Requirements for the Man-Vehicle Systems Research Facility, NASA CR-166315, October 1980.
· The Analysis of Delays in Simulator Digital Computing Systems, Volume I: Formulation of an Analysis Approach Using a Central Example Simulator Model, NASA CR-152,340, February 1980.
· Determination of Motion and Visual System Characteristics for Flight Simulation, Army Research Institute Technical Report 546, August 1981.
· In-Flight Simulation Requirements for Future Fighter Aircraft, AFFDL-TR-70-114, August 1970.
· RotorGen2 Low-Complexity Simulator Math Model, TR RHE-2000-1-R1, September 2000, (Revised 28 June 2001).
· RotorGen Minimal-Complexity Simulator Math Model with Application to Cargo Helicopters, NASA CR 196705 (UASATCOM TR 97-A-002), March 1997. (limited distribution)
· Beech Model 58 Baron Math Model Description and Proof-of-Match Data, Robert Heffley Engineering TR-RHE-FRA-92-1,15 May 1993.
· Flight Simulation Laboratory Math Model Extensions, Robert Heffley Engineering TR-RHE-LTS-90-1, April 1990.
· Flight Simulation Laboratory Math Model Development and Verification, Robert Heffley Engineering TR-RHE-SRL-87-2, June 1988.
· Minimum-Complexity Helicopter Simulation Math Model Program, Manudyne Systems Technical Report 83-2-3, October 1986. (.pdf 3.3 MB) <-- This file has had an incorrect link.
· Aerodynamic Data Conversion and Trim Program, Robert Heffley Engineering TR RHE-SRL-87-1.2, February 1988.
· Data Package for Carrier Approach Simulation (GENAIR Math Model), Manudyne Systems Technical Report, October 1985.
· Review of the Carrier Approach Criteria for Carrier-Based Aircraft Phase I; Final Report, NAVAIR Report No: NAWCADPAX/TR-2002/71, October 2002. (.pdf 3.0 MB)
· Piloted Simulator Investigation of Techniques to Achieve Attitude Command Response with Limited Authority Servos, NASA/CR-2002-211391 (USAAMCOM AFDD/TR-02-A-003), January 2002.
· An Investigation of the Deceleration to Hover Following a Steep IMC Approach to Very Low Minimums, DOT/FAA/CT TR (Draft) July 1993.
· Outer-Loop Control Factors for Carrier Aircraft, Robert Heffley Engineering TR-RHE-NAV-90-1, 1 December 1990. (.pdf 900 KB)
· Helicopter Roll Control Effectiveness Criteria Program Summary, NASA CR 177477 (USAAVSCOM TR 87-A-13), April 1988.
· Proposed Military Standard and Handbook: Handling Qualities of Piloted Airplanes, AFWAL-TR-82-3081, Volumes I and II, November 1982.
· Investigation of High AOA Flying Qualities Criteria and Design Guides, AFWAL-TR-81-3108, December 1981. (limited distribution)
· A Failure Criticality Analysis for the BHT 214ST Fly-by-Wire Elevator, Systems Technology, Inc., TR-2110-2, August 1980.
· Flight Control/Flying Qualities Investigation for Lift/Cruise Fan V/STOL, Volume II: Piloted Simulation, NADC-77143-30, August 1979.
· Field-of-View Requirements for Approach and Landing of V/STOL Aircraft, NADC 77240-07, August 1978.
· Airworthiness Criteria Development for Powered-Lift Aircraft: A Program Summary, NASA CR-2791 (and FAA-RD-76-195), February 1977. (pdf 14.8 MB)
· Study of a Safety Margin System for Powered-Lift STOL Aircraft, NASA CR-152,139, May 1978.
· Outsmarting MIL-F-8785B(ASG), The Military Flying Qualities Specification, Systems Technology, Inc., TR-190-1, August 1971. (limited distribution)
· Development of Handling Qualities Criteria for Rotorcraft with Externally Slung Loads, NASA/CR--2006-213488, October 2006. (.pdf 3.5MB)
· “Development of Handling Qualities Criteria for Rotorcraft with Externally Slung Loads,” Presented at the AHS International 58th Annual Forum and Technology Display of the American Helicopter Society, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 11-13, 2002. (.pdf 400KB)
· Techniques for Improving Precision of Flying Qualities Assessment, AIAA Paper 90-1285, May 1990.
· Terminal Control Factors for the Carrier Landing Task, AIAA Paper 86-2251-CP, August 1986.
· Time-Loading Effects in the Specification of Helicopter Handling Qualities, Manudyne Paper 86-3, June 1986.
· A Study of Helicopter Roll Control Effectiveness Criteria, NASA CR 177404 (USAAVSCOM TR 85-A-5), April 1986.
· Task Performance Modeling for Handling Qualities Specification, AIAA-85-1786, August 1985.
· "A Pilot-in-the-Loop Analysis of Several Kinds of Helicopter Acceleration/Deceleration Maneuvers," Helicopter Handling Qualities, NASA CP 2219, April 1982. (.pdf 540 KB)
· Factors Governing Control in a STOL Landing Approach, AIAA Paper 72-987, September 1972 (also Journal of Aircraft, August 1973).
· Pilot Background and Vehicle Parameters Governing Control Technique in STOL Approach Situations, FAA-RD-72-69, June 1972.
· Preliminary Assessment of the F-14A Longitudinal Handling Characteristics, Systems Technology, Inc., TR-193-1, October 1970.
· An Experimental Plan to Determine Flight Characteristics for Training, Manudyne Report 82-1-2, March 1984.
· Flight Characteristics for Training, Manudyne Report 82-1R, May 1983.
· An Analysis of Airline Landing Data Based on Flight and Training Simulator Measurements, NASA CR 166404 (STI TR 1172-1R), August 1982. (5.4 MB)
· A Comparison of Landing Maneuver Piloting Technique Based on Measurements Made in an Airline Simulator and in Actual Flight, Systems Technology, Inc., Paper 291, June 1981.
· The Status of Military Specifications with Regard to Atmospheric Turbulence, NASA/DoD Workshop on Atmospheric Turbulence, April 1986.
· Atmospheric Disturbance Models and Requirements for the Flying Qualities Military Standard and Handbook, AIAA Paper 81-0302, January 1981.
· "Simulator Studies of Powered-Lift Aircraft Handling Qualities in the Presence of Naturally-Occurring and Computer-Generated Atmospheric Disturbances," Journal of Aircraft, Volume 17, No. 6, June 1979, pp. 388-392.
Robert Heffley Engineering Home
Updated 3 January 2016